Requirements and Procedure for Admission to Practice before the Middle District of Louisiana
- All requests for admission to the bar of this Court are to be submitted online using the Court’s approved form. Download the approved PDF fillable Motion for Admission to Practice before the United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana and Petition of Applicant here.
- The Motion for Admission shall be submitted on behalf of the applicant by an attorney in good standing with the Middle District of Louisiana and shall include, in addition to the moving attorney’s affidavit, an affidavit of a second attorney in good standing with the Middle District of Louisiana (for a total of two). The form for these affidavits are included as part of the Motion and Petition PDF above.
- All applicants for admission to the bar of this Court must be members in good standing of the bar of the Louisiana Supreme Court. The Motion and Petition must include an original Certificate of Good Standing with the Court seal from the Louisiana Supreme Court dated within the last six (6) months.
- The applicant’s signature on the Oath of Office must be notarized. If the signature is not notarized, the form will not be processed.
- The Motion, Petition and accompanying documents shall be scanned in a single PDF file and uploaded online here.
- Upon submitting the Motion and Petition, the applicant will be prompted to pay an admission fee of $211.00, using a credit card or ACH, via pay.gov. This admission fee represents the fee required by the Judicial Conference and the annual Bench Bar fee pursuant to 83(b)(5). In the event the petitioner is not admitted, the fee will be refunded.
Upon receipt of the Motion and Petition, the Clerk of Court will screen the application. Where the requirements for admission are met, the applicant will be notified via email, a Certificate of Admission issued, the attorney’s name will be added to the roll of attorneys, and an electronic e-filing account will be issued. Where the requirements are not met, the applicant will be contacted with appropriate instructions.
No appearance is necessary or required. Personal appearance to be sworn in, is waived.
Attorneys participating in any of the Annual Mass Admission ceremonies sponsored by the three Louisiana Chapters of the Federal Bar Association, please make the appropriate selection during the online registration process.
Pursuant to the administrative procedures of this Court, the original application with all original signatures and the original certificate of good standing must be maintained by the applicant for a period of one year and must be produced, if requested.